Thursday 17 March 2016

Unit 36 - Prepare Image Output


(36.1) Understand key issues relating to the image output

1.1 Explain the principles of colour theory, colour mode and colour management

(See Unit 35, 1.1)

1.2 Explain how and why image profiles are used 

These are used for consistent colours for web and print. They ensure that the correct colour profile is used for the piece of work. For example an image for web would be RGB mode, or CMYK if it was to be printed. Images for web usage tend to be more vibrant and punchy, whereas printed images will come across darker. 

1.3 Identify relevant sources of information to assist with the keeping own knowledge and skills up-to-date

Creative development is important, especially when you are working with software such as Photoshop or Illustrator. It is one of those things where the more you do it, the more you improve. Online tutorials or attending courses or workshops are a great way of discovering new methods and techniques. Personally, I’ve always found it’s good to just keep experimenting on my own initiative. Sometimes I discover things myself, but it’s always good that we can look online or read books or magazines for tips and techniques. I’ve also discovered that it’s best to use the software quite frequently as sometimes, leaving it too long can lead to not being able to remember techniques so time is needed to re-familiarise myself. 

(Below is a personal project I’ve done recently. I knew I wanted to do something that used an image with my eye. I also wanted to involve the four elements and lyrics. I decided on choosing an area of interest of mine that would match each element, and a lyric that would match each element.)


(Above: Elements Eye Art Project)

1.4/ 1.5/ 1.6

(See Unit 35)

(36.2) Be able to prepare image output for screen use/

(36.3) Be able to prepare image output for print

2.1/ 3.1 Check that the image files are in the correct format and carry an embedded profile for the required form of output/

When preparing images for our DCAS online presence, I usually have my images in JPEG format. I find it is the most reliable and compatible with most browsers and operating systems. They are in RGB colour mode so the DPI doesn’t need to be very high. 

Images for print need to be in CMYK mode ideally with a DPI of 300. For both formats, I ensure colour profiles are clear and embedded at a later date. 

2.2/ 3.2 Load the image data files for output onto the computer

Firstly I choose the computer I’m going to work on. I usually go for the 13 inch Macbook at work as it has Photoshop and Illustrator on it and the others are often need for film editing on Final Cut Pro. Methods vary depending on where the images are coming from. Images emailed to me or on the internet are downloaded to my personal staff folder. If the images are on another computer, I either memory stick them across or email them to myself to download. Once I have my images, I create a subfolder for the project. The data comes with the images so I have all the relevant information, and the images are accessible to all members of staff. 

2.3/ 3.3 Optimise files for specified output

Images saved for online usage are usually in JPEG or PNG format and JPEG or TIFF for print.

2.4 Select an appropriate medium for storing the image output files/
2.5 Check that the output format meets the client’s requirements/
2.6 Store the files on the digital medium so that they can be accessed by the client

My last client was the dance teacher who I had to design a flier for (See unit 35). He didn’t have any special requirements for the image format so I created it as a JPEG. If any clients have any preferred requirements, I make sure the image is in their chosen format. The final image is stored on the 13 inch work Macbook in my folder. He works for us so has access to the image digitally. If the client wants, sometimes I email them a digital copy of the image for them. At DCAS we have a Dropbox, so really important images are backed up. If images are online it’s important that the client has a working link.

2.7 Set up the output device file to be used/
2.8 Check that the output medium is of sufficient capacity


3.4 Check that the capacity of the print medium is sufficient  

Unfortunately at DCAS we can’t print any bigger than A4. It’s also important to consider what the print is to be used for. For example, if a young person wants to print off an image to copy from in the art session, the quality isn’t really as important, but if images are to be for public use like my flier, the quality is important. Also at an even we did recently, we did a Photo Booth so we used a better quality printer and photo paper. 

3.5 Check that the output device is properly calibrated for the medium to be used

Generally we print on normal paper, but settings can always be changed. We have a better quality printer for printing out on photo paper, or things like fabric transfer paper in the art sessions. 

3.6 Set up the output device to print

When clicking ‘Print’ on the computer, we can change options and settings depending on the image outcome and what we want it to be like. Settings on the printer can also be changed. Places such as printing companies will have many more options, for example their printing outcomes could range from printing out business cards to something as extreme as a massive vinyl cut sticker. Therefore their settings would vary drastically, depending on the job.

3.7 Check that the output device is loaded with sufficient output material and ready to receive the image file

At DCAS, when a document has been sent to the printer, a window pops up with a loading bar so we can see when it has been sent. The image then begins to print. Messages come up on the printer when something is wrong. When this happens it’s usually the obvious like the paper tray needs loading or one of the inks is running low. 


(36.4) Be able to produce different forms of image output to meet requirements

4.1 Produce any required image proofs

When I was happy with the result of my Dance Sessions flier (Unit 35), I printed off the final outcomes for the client to view and see if he was happy. My manager also professionally checked the proofs to see that they looked how they should in print. 

4.2 Check the content and quality of image proofs against client requirements and workplace standards

When I print off a final proof at DCAS, we review it as a team at the staff meetings. This gives everyone the opportunity to make any suggestions. If needs be, the process is repeated until everyone is happy with the final image.

4.3 Explain the importance of image proofs signed off by all relevant parties

It’s important to have acceptance from any other parties who may be involved. For example, by working for the council, sometimes we have to do jobs for them, so if we designed some sort of image for them it’s important that they are fully content with the outcome. 

4.4 Take appropriate action to resolve any problems with image proofs following discussion with all relevant parties

Problems encountered could involve not quite being 100% sure on the permission of using a certain image. It’s important to hold back until we’re fully sure. Nobody wants to get into trouble with permission or copyright issues, especially with the negative impact it would put on an organisation. 

4.5 Select the appropriate computer from which to produce the final output

It’s important that the computer I use has Photoshop on it and depending on the project, possibly Illustrator. I bring my personal Macbook to work but it is no good for editing jobs as I don’t have Photoshop. Most of our computers at work have the Adobe suite, so there isn’t a problem. I prefer to work on a Macbook rather than desktop. This gives me the freedom to edit from anywhere in the building, so I can edit images while on phone-watching duty. I use the 13 inch one as it makes things more convenient for my colleagues who are nearly always editing footage on the bigger ones. Sometimes I find myself sitting at two MacBooks, editing images on one and writing on the other! When I have to transfer things between them, I use a memory stick. 

(However, recently a few situations have changed. I now have have Photoshop and Illustrator on my personal Macbook so editing is now a lot easier. I can even work on things at home. Also, my place of work have lent me a graphics tablet, so I can practice my digital drawing and colouring skills. And every Wednesday myself and the other apprentices attend an Adobe Illustrator course at Chesterfield College which is run by our tutor. I’m really enjoying it and it is bringing me new skills appropriate to my areas of interest.)


(Above: 'Repeated  Animal Pattern' - Adobe Illustrator Course)


(Above: Adobe Illustrator Mandala Workshop - 1st Attempt)


(Above: Adobe Illustrator Mandala Workshop - Zorro)




(Above: 'Interests Crossover' - Personal project)

4.6 Send the image data file to the selected output device to produce the required image output, ensuring the manufacturer’s instructions are followed

The printers are all usually already setup. It’s just a case of adjusting the print settings on the computer being used to print. All these comply with the manufacturers instructions and do not obstruct any manufacturer guarantee or damage the printer.

4.7 Produce the final output within workplace wastage limits

We’re economically friendly here at DCAS. We recycle and try our best not to waste paper. We have a scrap paper box for taking notes or to use when masking stencil artwork. It’s also important that we keep an eye out on the young people in the art session to ensure they’re not printing 

4.8 Check the content and quality of final output against client requirements and workplace standards

The final piece of work will have been through many editing and checking processes. If the client is happy with the final piece, it is sent to the printers. 

4.9 Forward acceptable output for delivery, collection or further production as required

Once the image has been printed it is ready to be put to use right away, ur uploaded to web and published if in digital format. 

4.10 Maintain the confidentiality of client material in line with workplace procedures

Generally the images we use to edit for promoting DCAS are our own photos which we have taken ourselves so we don’t face many copyright problems, but as an organisation this is an important factor when producing any work for people using our services. One thing we also make sure of is that young people have all filled in a consent form before any photos can be taken. 

4.11 Record all data relating to the content of the output in line with business/ organisation requirements

All images are saved on our computers. Images of importance are backed up onto hard drives and on our DCAS Dropbox. Any online images, we ensure the client has a direct link to them. If the client wants a copy of the image, we email it to them. All work is organised into files so we and the client have easy access to it. 

(35.5) Understand legislation, ethics and business requirements relevant to the preparation of image output

5.1 Identify key aspects of legislation relevant to the preparation of image output/
5.2 Take appropriate action to minimise potential risks and hazards/
5.3 Identify aspects of codes of ethics/ conduct relevant to image output/
5.4 Comply with all business/ organisation systems and procedures

(See Unit 35)
(35.5)

It’s important that any image for public use which has been printed or put online has gone through appropriate copyright procedures. For example, if you are using another photographer’s image in your work, you would need to get his or her permission to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment